International Projects Coordinator:
Warsaw 00-709, ul. Siekierkowska 28
tel.+48 22 841 72 17, +48 22 841 91 22,
fax.: +48 22 841 91 22
Dorożkarnia Children and Youth Culture Center is one of the most active institutions in Warsaw, which promotes children and youth amateur artistic activity. Its main objective is to create a suitable place and atmosphere in order to enable young people from all around Warsaw, especially from Lower Mokotów area, to present their achievements, realize their dreams and aspirations, develop their talents and acquaint themselves better with the world of art. Child and youth artists not only attend regular weekly classes, but also take active part in cyclic workshops and weekend stage presentations. There are a few dozens of various workshops and artistic groups at the Center, including several theatre and dance groups. While implementing its educational and cultural program, Dorożkarnia organizes and participates in many significant cultural events not only of local, but also of national and international character.
Dorożkarnia is a center of artistic and educational activity, which is located in a special place – in the Warsaw district of Siekierki, that is a region which – until recently – was considered socially backward and civilizationally underdeveloped. The location connotes the character and mission of our Center, although it does not define it unequivocally. Our daily activity takes into account the needs of the local community. However, we also carry out municipal, voivodship and all-Poland projects. Like all cultural centers in the city, we welcome children and youth from all around Warsaw and it is especially with them in mind that we organize fine arts and ceramics classes, vocal studio, film workshops, theatre groups and other specialist forms of artistic activity. However, we also implement projects addressed to children and youth from Siekierki district - we are trying to help them with their specific problems, educate and entertain them, as well as motivate them towards creative work . Our activity may be divided into two main groups:
Activity falling outside the local scope
1.Running thematic classes (fine arts, ceramics, film, theatre, vocal and dance),
2.Organizing artistic workshops,
3.Promoting artistic output of children and youth – e.g. exhibitions, concerts, drama and musical productions,
4.Running children’s and youth artistic and theatre groups, Organizing festivals, artistic reviews and meetings.
Activity aimed at the local community
1.Implementing care and psycho-educational projects – reeducation, therapy, ecological education, addiction prophylaxis.
2.Launching cultural integration programs, artistic workshops, and social cam paigns.
Dorożkarnia runs regular classes in fine arts, ceramics, theatre, film, dance and music, which are conducted by qualified instructors-artists, organizes cyclic workshops prepared by specialists in different fields, as well as implements variety of artistic projects of local, municipal, national and international character. It is a place of activities for children’s and youth theatre, music and dance groups, as well as local clubs, the objective of which is to integrate children and youth from Siekiereki district. Each year, Dorożkarnia organizes dozens of concerts, theatre and music performances, exhibitions, workshops, festivals, integration events and social campaigns.
The main goals of Dorożkarnia are:
- to enable all those interested (both the local community and Warsaw inhabitants) to have free access to regular artistic classes – to use free time of children and youth to the best advantage by creating an optimal offer tailored to the needs and abilities of the participants,
- to develop abilities in all children, encourage creativity, shape certain personality traits, like openness to original challenges – cooperation with local schools in order to bridge the educational gap in the area of creative activity and cultural sensitivity,
- to promote amateur activity – the use of media contacts and other opinion- forming circles in order to popularize unselfish artistic involvement of children and young people,
- to organize activities of local character – not only to meet the existing cultural needs of the local community, but also to create new attitudes (develop hidden potential, encourage taking initiative, etc.). The organization of performances, concerts, exhibitions in the form of presentations, which do not require active participation of the audience, as well as workshops and social campaigns, which require effort on the part of the participants. Implementation of care and psycho-educational projects – reeducation, therapy, ecological education, addiction prophylaxis (specific character of Siekierki district!)
- to cooperate in creating cultural policy of the city and self-government – participation in priority cultural, educational and social campaigns. The organization of events, festivals, meetings on the local, municipal, national and international level (artistic or discussion meetings, etc.), aimed at the exchange of experiences and encouraging new initiatives.